SugarLoaf's life as a Tanker's Wifey!

Simply my experience of being a military wife while trying to keep my sanity!

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Rambling

I have heard it said a few times that the deployment is the easy part, its the reunion that's hard. Now that I am heading into my final month of this deployment, I see that its so very true! I can remember in the beginning of this deployment I was wondering how I would ever make it a whole year. Its weird for me to think that because I have been living on my own since I was 18 so it wasnt like I was not sure how to handle things on my own, but I guess it was the fact that now I had to handle his stuff too. I was soely responsible for our lives for the whole year. I felt like I could screw up and then it would be all on me! Now that the year is almost over I see that I handled it very well, nothing broke that I couldn't fix, nothing burned down, our dog didnt run away or get stolen or hurt, so i think things went well! The past couple months is when I have been feeling so crazy inside. Feeling like I didnt get anything accomplished this year, questioning our marriage, questioning my capabilities, my education, all that and more. This year I have been responsible for crap messes that john got into before we got married, the current finances we have now, the dog, the FRG, school, a job for a few months of this deployment, and trying to stay positive for the family. I realize that just about every other wife of a deployed soldier also has these responsibilities, however I felt that I was the only one not juggling them all properly! Late in this deployment I started to realize that maybe these wives also put on a smile and pretend everything is great to the outside world. I started to think about this during the reunion trainning class i went to in late September. I heard the other wives talking about things just about everyone else in the room nodding their heads. Being an FRG leader I feel especially pressured to appear that I have everything under control, yet I want my wives to know that I am on the same page as most of them, its my job to be the organized one, the one that looks like everything is put together, no matter how hard I may try I have it instilled in me to appear controlled and put together no matter the situation. I feel like they are counting on me to be that person. Anyway, I was passing the barracks today, and just like every day since they left, I get choked up and want to cry, I see him marching to the buses. Even after a year its still not easy to see the barracks or the motorpool and think about the day he left. My heart still breaks. Its truly bittersweet when I have been seeing 1st Cav leave, I know just how those wives are feeling, but then I know that means its closer to my husbands homecoming. This year has actaully gone by fast. Trying to tell me that 11mos ago, I would have rolled my eyes at you, all I wanted to do was sleep till November came around. Unfortunantly I couldnt do that since I had our pup to take care of and I'm trying to finish my degree, but I did manage to close myself off from the world for the most part. I know thats not healthy, but I was up here alone, no friends or family around, so going out and seeing couples at lunch together or friends walking into the wal-mart chatting and laughing, those all were too hard for me to deal with, made me feel 10x more alone! So I have stayed in my bubble with the FRG and school my only outlet. I havent even met any of my neighbors, and I have been here for a year now. One lady would come out and talk to Ranger (not to me, seriously) and thats it. I see some of them getting together outside on Sat. nights, and it makes me sad, but at this point I know that john will be home soon and I will have someone to hang out on my patio with. I hope my neighbors dont think I am a bitch, I'm just shy when I am outside of my element, and very quiet! I did choose to stay in my own little world though. Ok well I of course have so much more but I am gonna go to bed i think!

4 Comments:

Blogger LoveMyTanker said...

I know exactly what you are talking about and have walked in your shoes. You are normal in my book, but that would mean I am normal, and I'm not sure that is true! LOL Hang in there and just do what helps you make it through, even if that is keeping to yourself, outside of a few activities. I tend to be that way myself, that is just how I function. I see the 'girls' getting together here too, but it just isn't my bag baby!! I wish you well during the re-deployment, just take it day to day!!

2:53 PM  
Blogger liberal army wife said...

hey, however you got through, it worked. No, those other folks didn't get through it unscathed either. I know, I wanted to have the bills paid off, have more in savings, have the house looking gorgeous, train the dog, lose weight... oh well. he's not going to care.

LAW

7:40 PM  
Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

you seem like you have been handeling it nicely, just do not make it any harder by adding any unreal expectations...

He just wants to see you

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unlimited Earnings Potential - http://1greatfuture.com

Our company is rapidly growing and offers you an extraordinary income helping others succeed. The primary requirement is to follow up on client inquiries and point them in the right direction. It is stress free, rewarding and straightforward work.

For complete details: http://1greatfuture.com


(Please feel free to delete this post if you don't want it on your blog. Thanks for the informative blog and opportunity to post.)

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home